Friday, March 9, 2012

Who is Daniel Henney?


 Daniel Henney


SHOOTING FOR THE MOON. U.S.-born Daniel Henney started out struggling to make a living modeling for catalogs, but after moving up and persevering in the showbiz industry, he made his big-screen Hollywood debut in ‘X-Men Origins: Wolverine‘ as Agent Zero. Here, He models the latest from Louis Vuitton.




Actor Daniel Henney’s heritage of Korean and Irish-American has served him well and he’s made the most of it. After his debut in the 2009 X-Men film he’s now ready for another step up, co-starring alongsideArnold Schwarzenegger (his big comeback movie), Forest Whitaker, Johnny Knoxville and Harry Dean Stanton in an upcoming film entitled Last Stand.

You grew up in a small town in the U.S. state of Michigan, away from the bright lights of L.A. How did you get into modeling?
Daniel Henney: There are a lot of ways you can get into this business. But for me it was a no-brainer. I had no money, my parents spent all their savings on my schooling, and I didn’t fulfill their expectations. So, when the chance came to pay them back I had to take it. I have never seen that kind of money before, as I am from a small town. A runway show would make me a thousand dollars, which to me, was unheard of. I was spotted at a scouting seminar, and I was there to accompany my friend because he was interested to be a model. I ended up getting more response from them. He was quite bitter about it for a while. [laughs]

So it wasn’t a career for the long haul?
Daniel Henney: I didn’t even have a passport prior to modeling, and I had to go get one before I left to pursue modeling in Hong Kong.

It is interesting how you only went to Korea much later.
Daniel Henney:  I went to Korea for the first time in 2005. Even my mom (who is of Korean descent) can’t speak Korean, and she is still picking it up. I speak Korean as good as a ’15-year-old’. I didn’t learnCantonese even after spending four years in Hong Kong. I wasn’t motivated to then learn but now I wish I had.

Do you consider yourself driven?
Daniel Henney:  I’m semi-driven. I don’t like the word driven. I think I’m motivated. Words like driven can get you into trouble. You step on your tongue when something else happens in the future. Someone might say: ‘He said he was driven. Now, look at him.’ [laughs]

We consider you driven because you started as a catalogue model and worked your way into Hollywood blockbusters. Now, you’re currently filming The Last Stand. Share with us what it is about.
Daniel Henney: I play FBI agent Phil Hayes. The story is about a Scarface-esque crime lord who escapes during his transfer to a maximum security prison in Las Vegas. I am part of the convoy chasing him down the border. He has to pass a small town to escape the law enforcement, and unfortunately for him, Arnold Schwarzenegger is the sheriff of that town.


Left: V logo varsity jacket
Right: Masai Damier scarf, cotton tank top, linen jacket and pleated khakis

This is labeled as Arnold Schwarzenegger’s comeback movie. What is he like off-screen?
Daniel Henney:  He is like an action figure. At 64, he has been in the business a long time and I am surprised at how nice he is even to the extras, and there can be hundreds of them. They would come up to him to ask for pictures and he would never say no. He would take time and walk into a shop, and talk to the cashier. And this cashier is probably going to have a moment that he will cherish for the rest of his life. I learnt from him that even the smallest thing can mean something to different people.

You’ve worked with an amazing company of actors. Ever got starstruck?
Daniel Henney:  It’s not so much of being star struck. I’m a big fan of movies so to be in that movie world is just surreal. I used to be a kid sitting on the floor with my Doritos and watching movies like The Terminator. And now I get to share screen time with him is a pretty intense experience. I had the same feeling when filming Wolverine, and Hugh Jackman was walking towards me with his 12-inch claws.

Speaking of Hugh Jackman, we’ve read that you really admire him.
Daniel Henney:  It is just the way he carries himself. It is a great responsibility when you are the star of a 150 million-dollar budget movie. And to be able to pull that off with integrity and have everyone love you, it is almost impossible but he does it. He is such a nice guy, and I am blessed to work with such people because these are memories I take with me.

Anyone else you admire?
Daniel Henney:  No, I was pretty impressed with Hugh. There are lot of great actors out there, but in terms of a leading man I am most impressed with him.

You’ve set up base in Hollywood for a while now. Was there ever a time you struggled to find work and was ready to return to Korea?
Daniel Henney:  I would never give up or do anything like that. There are a lot of variables that come into play when you talk about that. For instance, I’ve decided not to go for bit-part roles and by choosing that everyone thinks that’s admirable but it is foolish sometimes. I lose roles to actors like Orlando Bloom orJeremy Renner, people who have established themselves and are also Caucasian. I just have to be better at the audition. The frustration can build up when you audition, make it into the final three and the producers don’t think you’re right for the part because they casted a Caucasian as a female lead. This is after two to three weeks of waiting, and you have just got to be happy you got that far.


Woven sweater vest and tailored check pants

How do you prepare for your roles?
Daniel Henney:  I don’t go as crazy as I used to. I used to think I had to be a method actor and invest myself to do an incredible amount of research. But what I realize is that what works for me isn’t necessarily that.

What did your past research entail?
Daniel Henney:  I was auditioning for a role as a homeless guy, and I slept on the streets in Michigan. I just wanted to know what it was like to sleep out there. That was just me being young and silly.

And did that work for you?
Daniel Henney:  It did. Not for the role but as an actor. Now, I know I don’t have to do that. When I was playing Agent Zero in Wolverine, I had them send me the boots for the show. So I was wearing them two weeks before production to get a feel. It may make a difference to some or it may not, but I did it to create a foundation for myself. I’m still not a great actor, and I’m still learning as I go.

You have an incredible fan base. Does that surprise you?
Daniel Henney:  I am surprised that I have such a global fan base. A bunch of fans threw a birthday celebration for me in Venezuela and they got together at one of their houses. It is just a strange feeling. You can never believe it is you they are celebrating.

But I’m sure you’ve experienced the odd behavior.
Daniel Henney:  I was doing this signing session in Korea. I had a girl who was giving me the craziest eyes the entire time. Later, she proceeded to jump over two bodyguards, hurled herself over the rope and ripped her entire shirt off, and lunged at my feet. And the body guards were basically trying to get her arms off my feet. It was a chaotic experience.

Has it reached a stage where fans have crossed the line?
Daniel Henney:  It is only freaky when fans hack into my personal e-mail account or if they write me accusatory letters as my hypothetical girlfriend. They have written about the things I have done, and why I didn’t wear the gifts they bought. They would get upset.

What was the weirdest gift you have received?
Daniel Henney:  I got a vial of blood as a necklace. She wrote a note stating that with this she will always be close to my heart. I just become robotic about these things. It doesn’t affect me at all.


-
Photographs: Olivia Tsang
Styling: Jonathan Yee

No comments:

Post a Comment